Africa Regional Manager
The World Green Building Council is a global network of Green Building Councils which is transforming the places we live, work, play, heal and learn.
We believe green buildings can and must be at the centre of our lives. Our changing climate means we must reshape the way we grow and build, enabling people to thrive both today and tomorrow.
We take action – championing local and global leadership, and empowering our community to drive change. Together, we are greater than the sum of our parts, and commit to green buildings for everyone, everywhere.
Location: Prioritised for countries where we currently have member Green Building Councils – Ghana, Kenya, Mauritius, Namibia, Rwanda, South Africa, Tanzania and Zambia
Salary: $50,000 – $70,000 USD per annum, dependant on local standards and experience
About the World Green Building Council
The World Green Building Council is a global network of Green Building Councils (GBCs) in over 70 countries which is transforming the places we live, work, play, heal and learn. Buildings are diverse and beautiful but they must also be sustainable. We believe green buildings can and must be at the centre of our lives but our changing climate means we must reshape the way we grow and build.
Our mission is to create green buildings for everyone, everywhere – enabling people to thrive both today and tomorrow. By taking action, we champion local and global leadership and empower our community to drive change. We are greater than the sum of our parts, and commit to green buildings for everyone, everywhere.
The WorldGBC Africa Regional Network Manager
The WorldGBC Africa Regional Network (ARN) is a coalition of Green Building Councils across Africa coming together in their common mission to shift the market to green building practices. The network is made up of 8 GBCs at different levels of development – Prospective, Emerging and Established, bringing significant representation and potential for driving the green building agenda from a regional scale. There are many countries in Africa which do not yet have a Green Building Council, which represents a significant opportunity for the WorldGBC to support the set-up and development of GBCs across the continent.
A Regional Manager’s work within the Regional Network is prioritised equally around three main areas:
1) Work directly with existing GBCs one-on-one to help them build strong and impactful organisations as well as help to establish new GBCs working with founding groups in different countries
2) Fundraising and managing sponsor/donor relationships to make sure the Regional Network has sufficient funds to operate.
3) Bring GBCs together around collaborative projects that add value to their work, increase their capacity to transform their markets and generate influence across the region.
Specific responsibilities include:
GBC Development and Support
• Leverage global network and resources to advance GBCs’ development through each level – Prospective, Emerging, Established, ensure quality control and adherence to WorldGBC standards for GBCs, and support their growth and heightened impact in their respective countries;
• Identify potential new founding groups in key African countries and support the development of new Green Building Councils across the continent;
• Assess and evaluate the impact of WorldGBC and GBC activities in the region.
Regional and Global Collaboration and Influence
• Introduce, coordinate and support local GBCs on global WorldGBC projects such as Net Zero and the Building Efficiency Accelerator Programme;
• Through the network, develop and implement projects and partnerships in direct response to GBC needs and successes in the region. These can be related to policy, education, certification, or other topics, ensuring that every GBC member derives value from WorldGBC membership;
• Coordinate closely with the Regional Chair, Vice-Chair and Steering Committee to develop and agree strategic direction of the Network;
• Coordinate with other regions, sharing learnings from establishing the Africa Regional Network and supporting them in developing the regional network model;
• Support Regional Chair and Vice Chair in coordinating, preparing and hosting the Regional meetings;
• Foster strong relationships amongst GBCs in the region, connecting CEOs, Boards, and staff to share best practice, exchange information and collaborate;
• Oversee hiring and management of future Regional Network staff and/or consultants and contractors;
• Work closely with the Marketing and Communications Manager to communicate successes and needs of the Regional GBCs and the Network to a regional and international audience;
• Represent the region at a national, regional and international level, in speaking engagements, policy development, and in the media;
• Map regional public sector stakeholders, multinational corporates and NGOs with whom relationships will be built and nurtured at the ARN level;
Experience and Skills
• 5-10 years’ experience of working in the building/property/sustainability sector, either within industry, government or another stakeholder group
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and French
• Experience designing and writing grant funding proposals that has resulted in secured funding
• Experience in fundraising and managing different types of corporate sponsorships
• Experience in working across Africa, in a number of different countries
• Ability and capacity to manage multiple projects/activities, maintain tight deadlines and manage competing priorities
• Ability to work as part of a small and virtual team (based in different locations around the world) to tight deadlines
• Ability to build consensus from potentially competing viewpoints
The Africa Regional Network Manager will report directly to the Director of Membership and Regional Networks who is based in Toronto, Canada.
To apply, please send a CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org Note: We will only respond to shortlisted candidates. The deadline for applications is 17 July 2017.
Send your application to : email@example.com
Application deadline : July 17th 2017